Disaster Research & Response Center
Indonesia is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire – an area with plenty of tectonic activities. Indonesia faces a variety of natural disaster as well as man-made disasters. People living in Indonesia have to cope with a risk of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, forest fires, hazardous materials spills, mass transport accidents and industrial derived disasters. These resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of human & animal lives, as well as a destructive effect on the land area including infrastructure, asset & property, environmental consequences, reputation and business interruption.
Disaster Research & Response Center (DRRC) Universitas Indonesia builds capacity to improve resilience society, saving lives and populations affected by disasters. DRRC train the leaders, conduct research, and collaborate with partners to promote best practices in preparedness, response, recovery.
In order to save lives, preserve our valuable asset, properties, maintain company and country’s reputation, protect the environmental pollution we have to managed risks and build a resilience society through Disaster Management and Business Continuity Management.
PREPARE FOR THE WORST, PLAN FOR THE BEST!
Decision of Universitas Indonesia’s Rector No. 3465/SK/R/UI/2014 about the Organizational Structure of Disaster Research and Response Center (DRRC) Universitas Indonesia on 13 November 2014.
“Becoming excellent research center in multidisciplinary studies in the field of disaster management and capable of mobilizing resources to carry out disaster response and crisis in Indonesia”
- Discover and develop various approaches or scientific methods in disaster and crisis through a multidisciplinary approach
- Improve and strengthen the knowledge, competencies, skills and reliability of Universitas Indonesia members to participate in protecting the public and cope with disasters and crisis
- Establish and expand cooperation network between academic and non-academic institutions inside and outside the country, which focuses on disaster prevention and crisis
- Help various stakeholders to improve the effectiveness and efficiency in disaster management at the stage of pre-disaster, during disaster and post-disaster
- Develop coordination among members in the disaster management system practices in Indonesia.
- Encourage the establishment of mechanisms for disaster preparedness and crisis situations in Universitas Indonesia
- To become a forum for the Universitas Indonesia members, in both faculties and research centers, in conducting field studies and disaster relief activitieson behalf of the Universitas Indonesia
- To develop scientific perspective in disaster management and crisis situations by using a multidisciplinary approach based on the existing three science groups at the Universitas Indonesia
- To encourage the development of research featured in five major themes at the University of Indonesia, which specifically concerns the topic of disaster management or disaster management
- To increase knowledge, skills and concern for the Universitas Indonesia members together with the wider community involved in disaster relief efforts and real crisis
- To encourage the development of networking initiatives among institutions focusing on disaster management and crisis situations.
- To provide a concrete contribution to disaster management stakeholders, especially governments, in order to assist efforts to improve the effectiveness and efficiency in disaster and crisis.
- To increase the capacity of preparedness in the Universitas Indonesia through fundraising and mobilization of human resources and financial resources, according to the strategic plan of Universitas Indonesia.
- The teaching staff and the academic community in UI
- Students (bachelor, master, and doctoral) in the field of disaster, crisis and emergency response
- Researchers in the field disaster, crisis and emergency response
- Working unit or study centers in UI, which has been working in the field of disaster management (including student organizations)
- The researchers of national and international field of disaster, crisis and emergency response
- Universities in both Indonesia and abroad
- Government agencies (particularly BNPB and BPBDs) and non-government agencies related to disasters, crises and emergencies
- Industries and companies that focuses on disasters, crisis and emergencies
- International agencies in disasters, crises and emergencies fields
- Social communities that focuses on disaster related matters
- People who are vulnerable or have experienced disasters, crisis and emergencies
- Training of disaster management module tutor in Integrated Health Faculties for academic year 2014/2015 (the number of participants is 60 people from all faculties in UI)
- Public Lecture by Professor Takako Izumi of IRIdes (International Research Institute of Disaster Science) -Tohoku University on October 7, 2014 in conjunction with the launching of DRRC
- Basic Training Disaster Management for Students at UI Command Headquarters Regiment 19 – 21 December 2014
- Flood disaster response action through the UI Peduli in South Tugu, Koja on February 11 to 12 2015, Cilincing and Kalibaru on February 15, 2015
- Capacity Building for DRRC-K3L UI and DRRC Organization Development Training on July 1, 2015
- Training sectorization and DRRC Incident Command System on July 8, 2015
- Joining APRU-IRIDes Multi Hazards Summer School “Toward Implementation of New International Framework for DRR” at IRIdes (International Research Institute of Disaster Science) -Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan on 21 – 24 July 2015
- Workshop – Mini Research “Earthquake Safety Message” using earthquake simulation house, collaborating with Jakarta Rescue and Arbiter Samariter Bund (ASB) on 30 September 2015.
- PPGT have been working in cooperation with BNPB to execute the strategic plan of extreme climate or weather in the year 2013/ 2014 and in cooperation with The Ministry of Economy and Public Welfare in developing the assessment of local government commitment to the National Climate Change Program
- Psychology Faculty UI had already joined BNPB activities related trauma healing for several times, such as the Tsunami in Aceh
- Geography UI had conducted researches related disasters including floods and droughts, soil movement (landslides and land subsidence), extreme weather (tornado, strong winds, the urban heat island), abrasion and extreme waves, earthquakes and tsunami, social culture and demographics (conflicts , etc.)
- Biostatistics Center of Public Health Faculty UI had worked with the Ministry of Health related the development of Health Facilities webGIS
- Students from Computer Science Faculty UI has made an application for Jakarta flood information
- There are several Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD) that have worked with UI including BPBD DKI JAKARTA (with Geography UI), BPBD KAB CIANJUR (with Geography UI), and BPBD KAB BOGOR (with Crisis Center UI)
- Geography UI Students are often involved in the development of flood maps by BPBD DKI Jakarta in cooperation with World Bank
Program and Services
We are open to make collaboration in research/ training about topics below:
- Water Rescue
- Tree Climbing
- Chainsaw Safety
- Emergency Response Preparedness and Disaster Management
- Business Continuity Management
- Basic Life Support
- Handling the Disaster Victims
- Crowd Management
- Disaster Simulation
- Floor Warden
- Tabletop Exercise
- Developing Emergency Operation Center
- Building Fire Emergency Response
- Incident Command System
- Hazardous Materials
- Medical Emergency Response
Disaster Simulation Modeling